- The definition of auspicious is a situation that is positive or indicative of good things to come or is someone who is lucky.
- An example of an auspicious occasion is a high school graduation.
- An example of someone who is auspicious is a recent college graduate who gets a high paying job in his field after his first interview.
- of good omen; boding well for the future; favorable; propitious
- favored by fortune; successful
Origin: ; from Classical Latin auspicium (see auspice) plush -ous
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Attended by favorable circumstances; propitious: an auspicious time to ask for a raise in salary. See Synonyms at favorable.
- Marked by success; prosperous.
- aus·piˈcious·ly adverb
- aus·piˈcious·ness noun