- The definition of fortunate is someone or something that is lucky or favorable, or someone who is materially well-off.
- A lucky turn of events is an example of a fortunate turn of events.
- A person who will be a good spouse is an example of a fortunate match.
- A person who has all the material comforts is an example of someone who is very fortunate.
fortunate definition by Webster's New World
- having good luck; lucky
- bringing, or coming by, good luck; favorable; auspicious
Origin: Middle English fortunat ; from Classical Latin fortunatus, past participle of fortunare, to make fortunate ; from fortuna, fortune
fortunate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Bringing something good and unforeseen; auspicious.
- Having unexpected good fortune; lucky. See Synonyms at happy.
Origin: Latin fortūnātus, from fortūna, chance; see fortune.
- forˈtu·nate·ly adverb
- forˈtu·nate·ness noun