- The definition of fortunate is someone or something that is lucky or favorable, or someone who is materially well-off.
- A lucky turn of events is an example of a fortunate turn of events.
- A person who will be a good spouse is an example of a fortunate match.
- A person who has all the material comforts is an example of someone who is very fortunate.
- having good luck; lucky
- bringing, or coming by, good luck; favorable; auspicious
Origin of fortunateMiddle English fortunat ; from Classical Latin fortunatus, past participle of fortunare, to make fortunate ; from fortuna, fortune
- Bringing something good and unforeseen; auspicious.
- Having unexpected good fortune; lucky.
One who has good fortune, especially a wealthy person.
Origin of fortunateLatin fortūnātus, from fortūna, chance; see fortune.
(comparative more fortunate, superlative most fortunate)
- Coming by good luck or favorable chance.
- Bringing some good thing not foreseen as certain.
- Presaging happiness.
- Receiving some unforeseen or unexpected good, or some good which was not dependent on one's own skill or efforts.
- Lucky, favored by fortune.