- A lucky turn of events is an example of a fortunate turn of events.
- A person who will be a good spouse is an example of a fortunate match.
- A person who has all the material comforts is an example of someone who is very fortunate.
The definition of fortunate is someone or something that is lucky or favorable, or someone who is materially well-off.
- having good luck; lucky
- bringing, or coming by, good luck; favorable; auspicious
Origin of fortunateMiddle English fortunat ; from Classical Latin fortunatus, past participle of fortunare, to make fortunate ; from fortuna, fortune
- Bringing something good and unforeseen; auspicious.
- Having unexpected good fortune; lucky.
One who has good fortune, especially a wealthy person.
Origin of fortunateLatin fort&umacron;natus, from fort&umacron;na, chance; see fortune.
(comparative more fortunate, superlative most fortunate)
- Coming by good luck or favorable chance.
- Bringing some good thing not foreseen as certain.
- Presaging happiness.
- Receiving some unforeseen or unexpected good, or some good which was not dependent on one's own skill or efforts.
- Lucky, favored by fortune.