fortuitous[fôr to̵̅o̅′ə təs, -tyo̵̅o̅′-]
- The definition of fortuitous is happening by chance.
An example of fortuitous is two people who meet during a storm evacuation and wind up marrying each other a few years later.
- happening by chance; accidental
- bringing, or happening by, good luck; fortunate
Origin of fortuitousClassical Latin fortuitus ; from forte, by chance ; from fors (gen. fortis), chance, luck ; from Indo-European an unverified form bhtis ; from base an unverified form bher-, to bring from source bear
- Happening by accident or chance. See Synonyms at accidental.
- Resulting in good fortune; lucky.
Origin of fortuitousLatin fortuītus; see bher-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more fortuitous, superlative most fortuitous)
From Latin fōrtuītus.