- The definition of unfortunate is unlucky, or something that is regrettable or inappropriate.
- If your teacher happens to collect the homework on the only day ever that you did not complete it, this is an example of something that would be described as unfortunate.
- When you make a rude and inappropriate mark about someone's weight or hair style and then you immediately regret it and everyone looks at you as if you've done something wrong, this is an example of a time when you made an unfortunate comment.
unfortunate definition by Webster's New World
- having bad luck; unlucky
- bringing, or coming by, bad luck; unfavorable
- not suitable or successful
an unfortunate person
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- unfortunately adverb
unfortunate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Characterized by undeserved bad luck; unlucky.
- Causing misfortune; disastrous.
- Regrettable; deplorable: an unfortunate lack of good manners.
A victim of bad luck.
- un·forˈtu·nate·ly adverb
- un·forˈtu·nate·ness noun