- If your teacher happens to collect the homework on the only day ever that you did not complete it, this is an example of something that would be described as unfortunate.
- When you make a rude and inappropriate mark about someone's weight or hair style and then you immediately regret it and everyone looks at you as if you've done something wrong, this is an example of a time when you made an unfortunate comment.
- having bad luck; unlucky
- bringing, or coming by, bad luck; unfavorable
- not suitable or successful
- Having bad luck; unlucky.
- Characterized by, bringing, or causing misfortune: an unfortunate turn of events.
- Regrettable; deplorable: an unfortunate lack of good manners.
(comparative more unfortunate, superlative most unfortunate)