- The underdog is the person or persons who are not favored to win or be selected.
The slow runner who everyone believes is going to lose the race is an example of the underdog.
underdog definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Rare the dog that is losing in a dogfight
- a person or group that is losing, or is expected to lose, in a contest or struggle
- a person who is handicapped or at a disadvantage because of injustice, discrimination, etc.
underdog definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics.
- One that is at a disadvantage.