- The definition of an arc is a curve or bowed shape, like a part of a circle.
An example of an arc is a rainbow.
- To arc is defined as to make a curved shape or move in a curved path.
An example of arc is the way stars move across the sky.
The girders of a suspension bridge form an arc.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- Historical the part of a circle that is the apparent path of a heavenly body above and below the horizon
- a bowlike curved line or object
- Elec. the band of sparks or incandescent light formed when an electric discharge is conducted from one electrode or conducting surface to another, characterized by relatively high current and low potential difference between electrodes
- any part of a curve, esp. of a circle
- the angular measurement of this
Origin: Middle English ark ; from Old French arc ; from Classical Latin arcus, a bow, arch ; from Indo-European base an unverified form arqu-, bowed, curved from source arrow
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Something shaped like a curve or arch: the vivid arc of a rainbow.
- Mathematics A segment of a circle.
- An electric arc.
- Astronomy The apparent path of a celestial body as it rises above and falls below the horizon.
- To form an arc.
- To move or seem to move in a curved path: the stars that arc across the sky.
Origin: Middle English ark, from Old French arc, from Latin arcus.
Origin: A(IDS)-r(elated) c(omplex).
arc - Computer Definition
(1) (Audio Return Channel) See HDMI ARC.
(2) PC compression programs from System Enhancement Associates, Inc., Clifton, NJ. ARC was one of the first compression utilities to become popular in the early 1980s. ARC+Plus provides enhanced features and speed.
(3) The ARC extension was previously used by PKWARE Inc. in its PKARC program.
(4) (Advanced RISC Computing) An earlier open system specification based on the MIPS R3000 and R4000 CPUs. It included EISA and TURBOchannel buses.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
arc - Medical Definition
arc - Science Definition
- A segment of a circle.
- See electric arc.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.