- The definition of hyperbolic is something that has been exaggerated or enlarged beyond what is reasonable.
An example of something that would be described as hyperbolic is a reaction by a person that is completely out-of-proportion to the events occurring.
- of, having the nature of, or using hyperbole; exaggerated or exaggerating
- of, or having the form of, a hyperbola
- designating or of any of a set of six functions (, , etc.) related to the hyperbola in a manner similar to that by which the trigonometric functions are related to the circle
Origin: LL hyperbolicus from Glassical Greek hyperbolikos from hyperbolē: see hyperbola
- hyperbolically adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or employing hyperbole.
- Mathematics a. Of, relating to, or having the form of a hyperbola.b. Of or relating to a geometric system in which two or more lines can be drawn through any point in a plane and not intersect a given line in the plane.c. Of or relating to a hyperbolic function: hyperbolic cosine.
- hyˌper·bolˈi·cal·ly adverb