- a curving or being curved
- a curve; curved part of anything
- Geom. the rate of deviation of a curve or curved surface from a straight line or plane surface tangent to it
- Med. an abnormal curving of a part: curvature of the spine
Origin of curvatureMiddle English from Classical Latin curvatura from curvare: see curve
- The act of curving or the state of being curved.
- Mathematics a. The ratio of the change in the angle of a tangent that moves over a given arc to the length of the arc.b. The limit of this ratio as the length of the arc approaches zero.c. The reciprocal of the radius of a circle.
- Medicine A curving or bending, especially an abnormal one: curvature of the spine.
Origin of curvatureMiddle English from Latin curvātūra from curvātus past participle of curvāre to bend from curvus curved ; see sker-2 in Indo-European roots.