- The definition of a deflection is a turning aside or a bending, or a deviation from the normal position of something.
An example of a deflection is a needle's starting measuring point moving from 0 to 20 on a dial.
deflection definition by Webster's New World
- a deflecting or being deflected; a turning aside, bending, or deviation
- the amount of this
- the deviation from the zero mark of the needle or pointer of a measuring instrument
Origin: Late Latin deflexio ; from Classical Latin deflexus, past participle of deflect
deflection definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of deflecting or the condition of being deflected.
- Deviation or a specified amount of deviation.
- The deviation of an indicator of a measuring instrument from zero or from its normal position.
- The movement of a structure or structural part as a result of stress.
deflection - Medical Definition
- A turning aside or deviation.
- The deviation of an indicator in a measuring instrument, such as an electrocardiograph, from zero or from its normal position.