- The definition of a deflection is a turning aside or a bending, or a deviation from the normal position of something.
An example of a deflection is a needle's starting measuring point moving from 0 to 20 on a dial.
- a deflecting or being deflected; a turning aside, bending, or deviation
- the amount of this
- the deviation from the zero mark of the needle or pointer of a measuring instrument
Origin of deflectionLate Latin deflexio ; from Classical Latin deflexus, past participle of deflect
- a. The act of deflecting or the condition of being deflected.b. Sports A shot or pass that is sent without stopping in a different direction by a second offensive player.
- a. Deviation or a specified amount of deviation.b. The deviation of an indicator of a measuring instrument from zero or from its normal position.c. The movement of a structure or structural part as a result of stress.