The definition of a rainbow is an arch in the sky made up of different colors that forms when the sun's rays are refracted by rain drops, or any display of different colors formed by the spectrum of light, or any display of vibrant or colorful things.noun
- When a rainy day clears up and the sun's rays catch on water drops in the atmosphere and form a red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet arch, this is an example of a rainbow.
- A produce aisle at the grocery store with many different colored fruits and vegetables is an example of a rainbow of colors.
- an arc or ring containing the colors of the spectrum in consecutive bands, formed in the sky by the refraction, reflection, and dispersion of light in rain or fog
- a multicolored array or assortment
- a wide range or selection
Origin: Middle English reinbowe from Old English regnboga: see rain and amp; bow
- of many colors
- of or involving the collaboration of members of diverse groups, esp. racial or minority groups: a rainbow commission to study housing
- designating a political coalition of diverse racial or minority groups
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. An arc of spectral colors, usually identified as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet, that appears in the sky opposite the sun as a result of the refractive dispersion of sunlight in drops of rain or mist.b. A similar arc or band, as one produced by a prism or by iridescence.c. A graded display of colors.
- An illusory hope: chasing the rainbow of overnight success.
- A diverse assortment or collection.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English rēnboga : rēn, rain + boga, bow; see bow3.
rainbow - Computer Definition
Digital Equipment's original offering in the PC market. The Rainbow, released between 1982 and 1986, used an Intel 8088 to run MS/DOS, but could also run CP/M programs because its Z80 keyboard processor served as an alternate CPU. The Rainbow was not hardware-compatible with the IBM PC.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
rainbow - Cultural Definition
The colored arch in the sky that is often seen after a rain. The rainbow is formed when water droplets in the air cause the diffraction of sunlight.
- The colors of the rainbow are violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red.
rainbow - Science Definition
In a primary rainbow, light is refracted upon entering the raindrop, reflected off the back of the raindrop, then refracted as it exits. The angle between the ray of sunlight that strikes the drop and the rays of varying wavelengths that leave the drop ranges from 40° for violet to 42° for red. (Angles in this diagram are approximate.)
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.