Fantasy is defined as a product of the imagination, particularly one that is defined as extravagant.noun
An example of fantasy is a daydream to be the owner of a chain of restaurants one day.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
noun pl. fantasies
- imagination or fancy; esp., wild, visionary fancy
- an unnatural or bizarre mental image; illusion; phantasm
- an odd notion; whim; caprice
- a work of fiction portraying highly imaginative (sense ) characters or settings that have no counterparts in the real world
- such works, collectively, as a literary form; specif., those works dealing with dragons, elves, ghosts, etc.
- Music fantasia (sense )
- a more-or-less connected series of mental images, as in a daydream, usually involving some unfulfilled desire
- the activity of forming such images
Origin: ME fantasie < OFr < L phantasia, idea, notion < Gr, appearance of a thing < phainein, to show, appear < IE base *bhā-, to gleam, shine > OE bonian, to ornament
- of or like a fantasy
- of or pertaining to any of various games in which scoring is keyed statistically to the performances of actual players in a sport
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. fan·ta·sies
- The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy. See Synonyms at imagination.
- Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.
- A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.
- a. Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.b. An example of such fiction.
- An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.
- An unrealistic or improbable supposition.
- Music See fantasia.
- A coin issued especially by a questionable authority and not intended for use as currency.
- Obsolete A hallucination.
Origin: Middle English fantasie, fantsy, from Old French fantasie, from Latin phantasia, from Greek phantasiā, appearance, imagination, from phantazesthai, to appear, from phantos, visible, from phainesthai, to appear; see bhā-1 in Indo-European roots.
fantasy - Medical Definition