- The definition of a segment is a part of a whole.
An example of a segment is the part of the population that is female in comparison to the entire population as a whole.
- To segment is to divide something up into different parts.
When you are conducting research and you divide your subjects up into two separate groups, this is an example of a situation where you segment the group.
segment definition by Webster's New World
- any of the parts into which a body is separated or separable; division; section
- a part of a figure, esp. of a circle or sphere, marked off or made separate by a line or plane, as a part of a circular area bounded by an arc and its chord
- any of the finite sections of a line
- Linguis. a phone, or single sound, in the stream of speech
- the part of an arthropod appendage between joints
Origin: Classical Latin segmentum ; from secare, to cut: see saw
- segmentary adjective
segment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of the parts into which something can be divided: segments of the community; a segment of a television program.
- Mathematics a. The portion of a line between any two points on the line.b. The area bounded by a chord and the arc of a curve subtended by the chord.c. The portion of a sphere cut off by two parallel planes.
- Biology A clearly differentiated subdivision of an organism or part, such as a metamere.
Origin: Latin segmentum, from secāre, to cut; see sek- in Indo-European roots.
- segˈmen·tarˌy adjective
segment - Business Definition
segment - Computer Definition
The Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) unit of data transfer between host computers. Segments are used to establish connections, transfer actual data, acknowledge packet receipt and request retransmissions, and terminate connections. See also host, packet, and TCP.
segment - Investment & Finance Definition
segment - Medical Definition
- A clearly differentiated subdivision of an organism or part, such as a metamere.
- A part of an organ having independent function, supply, or drainage.
- See zona.
segment - Science Definition
- The portion of a line between any two of its points.
- The region bounded by an arc of a circle and the chord that connects the endpoints of the arc.
- The portion of a sphere included between a pair of parallel planes that intersect it or are tangent to it.