The definition of a spigot is a faucet, often a wooden one in a cask.
An example of a spigot is the valve at the end of the pipe where the water is turned on and off.
- a plug used to stop the hole in a barrel
- a faucet
- the valve or plug in a faucet
- the end of a pipe that is inserted into an enlarged end of another pipe to form a joint
Origin of spigotMiddle English spigote, probably akin (? via OFr) to OIt dialect, dialectal spigorare, to tap (a cask) from Classical Latin spiculum: see spicule
- A faucet. andiron
- A wooden faucet placed in the bunghole of a cask.
- The male end of a segment of pipe.
Origin of spigotMiddle English perhaps from Old French espigot diminutive of Old Provençal espiga ear of grain from Latin spīca