Spile is a heavy piece of wood, metal, concrete or other material that is driven into the ground and used as a support beam, or a plug or spout.noun
- A large wood support beam driven into the ground is an example of a spile.
- A metal spout that can be driven into a maple tree to draw off the tree sap is an example of a spile.
- a plug or spigot, as for a barrel
- ☆ a tap or spout driven into a maple tree to draw off sap
- a heavy stake or timber driven into the ground as a foundation or support
Origin: MDu, splinter, skewer, bar, spindle: for IE base see spike
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A post used as a foundation; a pile.
- A wooden plug; a bung.
- A spigot used in taking sap from a tree.
- To support with a spile.
- To plug or tap with a spile.
Origin: Dutch spijl, wooden pin, from Middle Dutch spīle.