- Archaic either of the halves of a double door or any of the leaves of a folding door
- a gate regulating the flow of water in a sluice, channel, etc.
- Anat. a membranous fold or structure which permits body fluids to flow in one direction only, or opens and closes a tube, chamber, etc.
- any of the segments into which a pod or capsule separates when it bursts open
- a lidlike part in some anthers, through which pollen is discharged
- either of the boxlike halves forming the cell walls of a diatom
- a device, esp. a rectifier, that allows current to flow in only one direction
- Brit. electron tube
- any device in a pipe or tube that permits a flow in one direction only, or regulates the flow of whatever is in the pipe, by means of a flap, lid, plug, etc. acting to open or block passage
- the flap, lid, plug, etc.
- Music a device in certain brass instruments, as the trumpet, that opens (or closes) an auxiliary to the main tube, lengthening (or shortening) the air column and lowering (or raising) the pitch
- each separate part making up the shell of a mollusk, barnacle, etc.
- any of the parts forming the sheath of an ovipositor in certain insects
ME, a door leaf < L valva, leaf of a folding door, akin to volvere, to roll: see walk; valvesenses , , < ModL valva < L
transitive verb, intransitive verb valved, valving
- to fit with or make use of a valve or valves
- to regulate the flow of (a fluid) by means of a valve or valves