- a person or thing that stops or causes a stoppage
- something inserted to close an opening; plug
- ⌂ Baseball
- that starting pitcher regarded as best able to prevent his or her team from having a long losing streak
- closer (sense )
- Bridge a card or cards that will prevent an opponent from running a suit
to close with a plug or stopper
- A device, such as a cork or plug, that is inserted to close an opening.
- One that causes something to stop: a conversation stopper.
- Games A card or cards enabling one to prevent one's opponents from winning all the tricks in a particular suit in a hand of bridge.
- Baseball A relief pitcher, especially one called upon to protect a lead.
- Sports a. A player who excels on defense, as in basketball.b. In soccer, a defensive player who plays behind the center midfielder and often guards the opponent's best forward. Also called center back.c. A goalie.
transitive verbstop·pered, stop·per·ing, stop·pers
To close with or as if with a stopper.
- Agent noun of stop, someone or something that stops something.
- A type of knot at the end of a rope, to prevent it from unravelling.
- Put a stopper in the knot.
- A bung or cork
- We need a stopper or the boat will sink.
- (slang, soccer) goalkeeper
- He's the number one stopper in the country.
- (finance, slang) In the commodity futures market, someone who is long (owns) a futures contract and is demanding delivery because they want to take possession of the deliverable commodity.
- Cattle futures: spillover momentum plus evidence of a strong stopper (i.e., 96 loads demanded) should kick the opening higher.
- (rail transport) A train that calls at all or almost all stations between its origin and destination, including very small ones.
- (botany) Any of several trees of the genus Eugenia, found in Florida and the West Indies.
- the red stopper
- A playspot where water flows back on itself, creating a retentive feature.
(third-person singular simple present stoppers, present participle stoppering, simple past and past participle stoppered)