- a person or thing that stops or causes a stoppage
- something inserted to close an opening; plug
- a pitcher outstanding as a starter () who usually will stop a team's losing streak
- a closer (sense ) who is very effective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A device, such as a cork or plug, that is inserted to close an opening.
- One that causes something to stop: a conversation stopper.
- Baseball A relief pitcher, especially one called upon to protect a lead.
- Sports a. A player who excels on defense, as in basketball.b. In soccer, a defensive player who plays behind the center midfielder and often guards the opponent's best forward.c. A goalie.
- Games A card or cards preventing one's opponents from winning all the tricks in a particular suit in a hand of bridge.