- The definition of a lid is the removable cover of something, or is an action to stop something, or is slang for an ounce of marijuana.
- An example of a lid is the top of a can of beans.
- An example of a lid is putting a lid on street violence.
A person tries to remove a lid from a jar.
lid definition by Webster's New World
- a movable cover, hinged or unattached, as for a box, trunk, pot, etc.; top
- ☆ Informal a curb or restraint: to put a lid on gambling
- Slang a cap, hat, etc.
- Slang a small package of marijuana, usually about an ounce
- Bot., loosely an operculum
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English hlid (akin to German -lid in augenlid, eyelid) ; from base seen in Old English hlidan, to cover ; from Indo-European base an unverified form lei-, to lean
lid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A removable or hinged cover for a hollow receptacle or box.
- An eyelid.
- Biology A flaplike covering, such as an operculum.
- A curb, restraint, or limit: approved a new lid on corporate spending.
- Informal An act of concealment; a cover: told us to keep a lid on the report until the campaign was over.
- Slang A hat.
- Slang An ounce of marijuana.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English hlid; see klei- in Indo-European roots.