- The definition of a hat is a covering for the head, or someone's role in a job or in life.
- An example of a hat is a fedora.
- An example of a hat is the role of teacher.
This is one style of hat. It is called a fedora
hat definition by Webster's New World
- a covering for the head, usually with a brim and a crown
- any of the several titles, positions, jobs, roles, etc. that one person may have
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English hætt, akin to Old Frisian hat, German hut ; from Indo-European base an unverified form kadh-, to cover, protect from source hood, heed, Classical Latin cassis, helmet
hat definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A covering for the head, especially one with a shaped crown and brim.
- a. A head covering of distinctive color and shape worn as a symbol of office.b. The office symbolized by the wearing of such a head covering.
- A role or office symbolized by or as if by the wearing of different hats: wears two hats—one as parent and one as corporate executive.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English hǽt, hǽtt.
hat - Computer Definition
hat - Phrases/Idioms
hat in hand
pass the hatâ
take one's hat off to
talk through one's hatâ
throw one's hat into the ring
under one's hatâ
at the drop of a hat
hat in hand
take (one's) hat off to
talk through (one's) hat
- To talk nonsense.
- To bluff.
under (one's) hat