- Alternative form of speight.
- 1706, Various, The Fifteen Comforts of Matrimony= Responses from Men:
- When I found Cuckolds to Encrease apace, I Marry'd one with such an Ugly Face That one wou'd thought the Devil wou'd but grotch So foul a Figure as my Wife to touch; Yet being at a Friendly Club one Night, A Raskal came and Cuckol'd me for spight.
- 1768, Susannah Minific Gunning, Barford Abbey:
- --Nothing did I enjoy on the road;--in spight of my endeavours, tears stream'd from my eyes incessantly;--even the fine prospects that courted attention, pass'd unnotic'd.
- 1789, Hester Lynch Piozzi, Observations and Reflections Made in the Course of a Journey through France, Italy, and Germany, Vol. I:
- There was music; and the door being left at jar, as we call it, I watched the wretched servant who staid in the antichamber, and found that he was listening in spight of sorrow and starving.