- The definition of unlikely is something that is probably not going to happen or that has a very slim chance of occurring.
The chance of snow in June in Florida is an example of something that would be described as unlikely.
- not likely to happen or be true; improbable
- not likely to succeed; not promising
Origin of unlikelyMiddle English unlikly, probably based on Old Norse ūlīkligr
- Not likely; improbable.
- Not promising; likely to fail.
(comparative unlikelier or more unlikely, superlative unlikeliest or most unlikely)
- Not likely; improbable; not to be reasonably expected; as, an unlikely event; the thing you mention is very unlikely. Not holding out a prospect of success; likely to fail; unpromising; as, unlikely means.
- It's very unlikely that you'll be able to walk perfectly after being in a cast for six months.
- In an improbable manner.
- Something or somebody considered unlikely.
un- +"Ž likely