- Unlike fruit that has an inside seed, the seeds of a strawberry are on the outside and are actually achenes, which are the seeds and the fruit.
- Strawberries are the first "fruit" to ripen in the spring.
- California produces more strawberries than any other state in the United States, producing about one billion every year.
- Strawberry plants reproduce in two ways; sexually and asexually. Sexual reproduction involves the flowers and pollination. Strawberry plants can self-pollinate by putting out runners that start new plants.
- The size of the strawberry depends on how many pistils get fertilized.
- Strawberries were used by the ancient Romans for infections, inflammation, depression, and diseases of the blood, liver and spleen.
The definition of a strawberry is the red fruit of a plant in the genus Fragaria.
Facts About Strawberry Plants
An example of a strawberry is a fruit commonly served in Spring and Summer, often dipped in chocolate.
- the small, red, fleshy accessory fruit of a stolon-bearing plant (genus Fragaria) of the rose family
- this plant
- Slang a reddish abrasion of the skin
Origin of strawberryMiddle English strawberi from Old English streawberie from streaw, straw + berige, berry: probably from the appearance of the achenes, like bits of straw or chaff on the red surface
- Any of various low-growing plants of the genus Fragaria of the rose family, having white flowers and an aggregate fruit that consists of numerous one-seeded achenes embedded in a fleshy red receptacle.
- The edible fruit of any of these plants, especially the cultivated species F. &botx;ananassa.
Origin of strawberryMiddle English from Old English strēawberige strēaw straw ; see straw . berige, berie berry ; see berry .
(countable and uncountable, plural strawberries)
- The juicy, usually red, edible fruit of certain plants of the genus Fragaria.
- They went to pick strawberries today.
- Any plant of the genus Fragaria (that bears such fruit).
- She has the best strawberry patch I've ever seen.
- (colour) A red colour, like that of the fruit; strawberry red.
- (rare) Something resembling a strawberry, especially a reddish bruise or birthmark.
- Containing or having the flavor of strawberries.
- I'd like a large strawberry shake.
- Flavored with ethyl methylphenylglycidate, an artificial compound which is said to resemble the taste of strawberries.
- Of a red colour.
- The strawberry lipstick makes her look younger.