improbable[im präb′ə bəl]
- The definition of improbable is something unlikely to happen or unlikely to be true.
- The idea that the sun spins around the Earth is an example of something that would be described as a improbable idea.
- When they are calling for a 90 percent chance of rain, this is an example of a time when sunshine is improbable.
not probable; not likely to happen or be true; unlikely
Origin of improbableClassical Latin improbabilis
Unlikely to take place or be true.
(comparative more improbable, superlative most improbable)
- Not likely to be true.
- It's highly improbable that aliens abducted you.
- Not likely to happen.
- Due to the loss of power, it is improbable that we will begin on time.