The definition of doubtful is suspicious, unclear or unsure.adjective
An example of something doubtful is a situation reported by a person who constantly lies.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- in doubt; not clear or definite; ambiguous
- not clearly predictable; uncertain; unsure
- giving rise to doubt or suspicion; questionable, as in reputation
- feeling doubt; unsettled in opinion or belief
Origin: ME douteful
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Subject to or causing doubt: a doubtful claim; doubtful prospects.
- Experiencing or showing doubt: Doubtful that the cord would hold, we strengthened it.
- Of uncertain outcome; undecided.
- Raising doubts as to legitimacy, honesty, or respectability; suspicious: the candidate's doubtful past. See Usage Note at doubt.
- doubtˈful·ly adverb
- doubtˈful·ness noun