The definition of confident is to be certain about something or feeling sure of yourself and your abilities.
An example of confident is the way an expert public speaker feels going before a crowd.
- full of confidence; specif.,
- assured; certain: confident of victory
- sure of oneself; self-confident; bold: a confident manner
- Obs. trustful; confiding
- Feeling or showing certainty, as of success: was confident that the venture would be profitable.
- Feeling or showing confidence in oneself; self-assured: a confident driver. See Synonyms at sure.
- Obsolete Confiding; trustful.
Origin of confidentLatin c&omacron;nf&imacron;d&emacron;ns, c&omacron;nf&imacron;dent-, present participle of c&omacron;nf&imacron;dere, to rely on; see confide.
(comparative more confident, superlative most confident)
- Obsolete form of confidant.