- The definition of confident is to be certain about something or feeling sure of yourself and your abilities.
An example of confident is the way an expert public speaker feels going before a crowd.
- full of confidence; specif.,
- assured; certain: confident of victory
- sure of oneself; self-confident; bold: a confident manner
- Obsolete trustful; confiding
- confidently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Marked by assurance, as of success.
- Marked by confidence in oneself; self-assured. See Synonyms at sure.
- Very bold; presumptuous.
- Obsolete Confiding; trustful.
Origin: Latin cōnfīdēns, cōnfīdent-, present participle of cōnfīdere, to rely on; see confide.
- conˈfi·dent·ly adverb