An example of confident is the way an expert public speaker feels going before a crowd.
- full of confidence; specif.,
- assured; certain: confident of victory
- sure of oneself; self-confident; bold: a confident manner
- Obsolete trustful; confiding
- Feeling or showing certainty, as of success: was confident that the venture would be profitable.
- Feeling or showing confidence in oneself; self-assured: a confident driver. See Synonyms at sure.
- Obsolete Confiding; trustful.
Origin of confidentLatin cōnfīdēns, cōnfīdent-, present participle of cōnfīdere, to rely on; see confide.
(comparative more confident, superlative most confident)
- Obsolete form of confidant.