- full of confidence; specif.,
- assured; certain: confident of victory
- sure of oneself; self-confident; bold: a confident manner
- Obs. trustful; confiding
The definition of confident is to be certain about something or feeling sure of yourself and your abilities.
An example of confident is the way an expert public speaker feels going before a crowd.
- Feeling or showing certainty, as of success: was confident that the venture would be profitable.
- Feeling or showing confidence in oneself; self-assured: a confident driver. See Synonyms at sure.
- Obsolete Confiding; trustful.
Origin of confidentLatin cōnfīdēns cōnfīdent- present participle of cōnfīdere to rely on ; see confide .
(comparative more confident, superlative most confident)
- Obsolete form of confidant.
- The speakers were confident communicators.
- She was a confident swimmer.
- I am confident that I have found the right path.
- The salesperson had a confident manner with plenty of personality.
- I'm quietly confident that things will get better.