- The definition of hopeful is feeling or giving a positive or optimistic attitude about some event or about the future.
When you have complete faith that an illness will be able to be cured, this is an example of a time when you are hopeful about the prognosis.
- Hopeful is defined as a person who is likely to succeed.
If Hillary Clinton runs for President in 2016, she will be an example of a presidential hopeful.
- feeling or showing hope; expecting to get what one wants
- inspiring or giving hope: a hopeful sign
Origin of hopefulMiddle English
- Having or manifesting hope.
- Inspiring hope; promising.
(comparative more hopeful, superlative most hopeful)
hope + -ful