- The definition of affirmative is agreeing with someone or something.
An example of an affirmative action is nodding your head in agreement with a friend's statement.
- Affirmative means a positive answer.
An example of an affirmative statement is answering a question with the word “yes.”
- Affirmative is defined as something that confirms the truth.
An example of something that would be described as affirmative is a testimony in court that supports the plaintiff's claim.
- saying that something stated is true; answering “yes”: an affirmative reply
- bold or confident in asserting: affirmative people
- optimistic or hopeful; not negative or cynical
- Logic affirming something about a subject: “all men are mortal” is an affirmative proposition
Origin of affirmativeMiddle English affirmatif ; from Classical Latin affirmativus ; from affirmare, affirm
- a word or expression indicating assent or agreement (Ex.: yes, aye)
- an affirmative statement
- the point of view that upholds the proposition being debated
in the affirmative
- in assent or agreement with a plan, suggestion, etc.
- with an affirmative answer; saying “yes”
- Asserting that something is true or correct, as with the answer “yes”: an affirmative reply.
- Giving assent or approval; confirming: an affirmative vote.
- Positive; optimistic: an affirmative outlook.
- Logic Of, relating to, or being a proposition in which the predicate affirms something about the subject, such as the statement apples have seeds.
- A word or statement of agreement or assent, such as the word yes.
- The side in a debate that upholds the proposition: Her team will speak for the affirmative.
(comparative more affirmative, superlative most affirmative)
- pertaining to truth; asserting that something is; affirming
- an affirmative answer
- pertaining to any assertion or active confirmation that favors a particular result
- an affirmative vote
- Confirmative; ratifying.
- an act affirmative of common law
- (logic) Expressing the agreement of the two terms of a proposition.
- (algebra) positive; not negative
- Yes; an answer that shows agreement or acceptance.
- That's an affirmative Houston, the space shuttle has lost the secondary thrusters.
- 10-4 good buddy. That's an affirmative - the tractor trailer is in the ditch at the side of the highway.
- (grammatical terminology) An answer that shows agreement or acceptance.
From Old French affirmatif, from Latin affirmativus, from affirmare (“to assert”).