- The definition of budding is something that is just starting to grow or show promise.
- An example of something that would be described as budding is a plant that has just begun to grow branches and leaves.
- An example of something that would be described as budding is the new career of a talented person who shows great promise in the field.
The budding branch of an apple blossom tree.
budding definition by Webster's New World
Origin: see bud,
budding definition by American Heritage Dictionary
budding - Medical Definition
budding - Science Definition
Variant of bud
- a small swelling or projection on a plant, from which a shoot, cluster of leaves, or flower develops
- a partly opened flower
- any undeveloped or immature person or thing
- an asexually produced swelling or growth on the body of a sponge, fungus, etc. that develops into a new individual
Origin: Middle English budde, bud, seedpod ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bheu-: see big
- to put forth buds
- to begin to develop
- to be young, promising, etc.
Origin: < budthe
- to put forth as a bud or buds
- to cause to bud
- to insert (a bud of a plant) into the bark of another plant