- The definition of buoyant is someone or something that is able to rise or float in air or water.
- A coconut floating in the ocean is an example of buoyant.
- A balloon rising in the air is an example of buoyant.
Children enjoying the buoyancy of their inflatable water toy.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Spanish boyante ; from boyar, to float
- buoyantly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Having or marked by buoyancy: a buoyant balloon; buoyant spirits.
- Lighthearted; gay: in a buoyant mood.
Origin: Spanish boyante, present participle of boyar, to refloat a boat, from boya, buoy, from Old French boue; see buoy.
- buoyˈant·ly adverb