- The definition of a balloon is material such as rubber, silk or plastic which can be filled with air or gas.
An example of a balloon is a blimp.
- To balloon is defined as to expand in size or to increase quickly.
- An example of something that may balloon is your stomach after a big meal.
- An example of something that may balloon are the amount of funds raised at a charity event.
- To balloon means to ride in something powered by gas-filled silk or plastic.
An example of someone who may balloon is a person flying a hot air balloon.
A child holding a balloon.
balloon definition by Webster's New World
- an airtight bag that rises and floats above the earth when filled with hot air or a gas lighter than air, such as hydrogen or helium
- a bag of this sort with an attached car or gondola for carrying passengers or instruments
- a small rubber bag inflated for use chiefly as a toy or decoration
- the outline enclosing the words or thoughts of a character in a cartoon, as in comic strips
- an installment loan, mortgage loan, etc. allowing small, regular payments during the term of the loan, but having a large, final payment
- the final payment
Origin: French ballon, altered (after balle) ; from Italian pallone, large ball ; from palla, ball ; from Langobardic an unverified form palla (OHG balla), ball
- to ride in a balloon
- to swell; expand
- to fall due as a balloon payment
- of or having to do with a balloon or balloons
- like a balloon; round and soft, inflatable, etc.
- balloonist noun
balloon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A flexible bag designed to be inflated with hot air or with a gas, such as helium, that is lighter than the surrounding air, causing it to rise and float in the atmosphere.b. Such a bag with sufficient capacity to lift and transport a suspended gondola or other load.c. Such a bag shaped like a figure or object when inflated; an inflatable.
- A usually round or oblong inflatable rubber bag used as a toy.
- Medicine A sac that is inserted into a body cavity or tube and distended with air or gas for therapeutic purposes, such as angioplasty.
- A rounded or irregularly shaped outline containing the words that a character in a cartoon is represented to be saying.
- To ascend or ride in a balloon.
- To expand or swell out like a balloon. See Synonyms at bulge.
- To increase or rise quickly.
Origin: French ballon, from Italian dialectal ballone, augmentative of balla, ball, of Germanic origin; see bhel-2 in Indo-European roots.
- bal·loonˈist noun
balloon - Medical Definition