A rock wall juts out into the water.
- The definition of a jut means something that sticks out.
An example of a jut is a boat dock that sticks out into the lake.
- Jut is defined as to stick out.
An example of jut is for a shelf to stick out from a wall.
transitive verbjut′ted, jut′ting
Origin of jutprobably variant, variety of jet
verbjut·ted, jut·ting, juts
- The act or condition of jutting: a pronounced jut of the chin.
- Something that protrudes; a projection: “a jut of untrimmed mustache” ( William Faulkner )
Origin of jutMiddle English jutten from gete, iutei jetty, projecting upper story from Old French jetee ; see jetty 1.
- something that sticks out
(third-person singular simple present juts, present participle jutting, simple past and past participle jutted)
- (intransitive) to stick out
- the jutting part of a building