A rock wall juts out into the water.
- The definition of a jut means something that sticks out.
An example of a jut is a boat dock that sticks out into the lake.
- Jut is defined as to stick out.
An example of jut is for a shelf to stick out from a wall.
verbjut·ted, jut·ting, juts
- The act or condition of jutting: a pronounced jut of the chin.
- Something that protrudes; a projection: “a jut of untrimmed mustache” (William Faulkner).
Origin of jutMiddle English jutten, from gete, iutei, jetty, projecting upper story, from Old French jetee; see jetty1.
- something that sticks out
(third-person singular simple present juts, present participle jutting, simple past and past participle jutted)
- (intransitive) to stick out
- the jutting part of a building