A camel with two humps.
- The definition of a hump is a rounded lump or bump.
An example of a hump is a rounded mass on someone's back caused by a curve in the spine.
- Hump is defined as to hunch over or arch the back, to hurry or to use a lot of energy, or is vulgar slang to mean having sexual intercourse.
- An example of hump is to walk bent over with the shoulders down.
- An example of hump is to race through the day.
- An example of hump is to have sex with someone.
- a rounded, protruding lump, specif.,
- such a lump resulting from kyphosis
- the fleshy mass on the back of a camel
- a hummock; mound
- Brit., Informal a fit of melancholy: with the
Origin of hump; from or akin to Low German humpe, thick piece ; from Indo-European an unverified form kumb- (; from base an unverified form keu-, to bend, curve) from source hip, Sanskrit kumba-, thick end (of a bone), Classical Greek kymb?, a bowl
- to hunch; arch: the cat humped its back
- Austral., Brit., Informal to carry on the back
- Slang to have sexual intercourse with: somewhat vulgar
- to exert oneself
- to hurry
over the hump⌂
- A rounded mass or protuberance, such as the fleshy structure on the back of a camel or of some cattle.
- A deformity of the back in humans caused by an abnormal convex curvature of the upper spine.
- Vulgar Slang The act or an instance of having sexual intercourse.
- a. A low mound of earth; a hummock.b. A mountain range.
- Chiefly British A fit of depression; an emotional slump.
verbhumped, hump·ing, humps
- To bend or round into a hump; arch.
- Slang a. To exert (oneself).b. To carry, especially on the back.
- Vulgar Slang To engage in sexual intercourse with.
- Slang To exert oneself.
- Slang To hurry.
- Vulgar Slang To engage in sexual intercourse.
Origin of humpProbably of Low German origin.
- A mound of earth.
- A rounded mass, especially a fleshy mass such as on a camel.
- A speed hump.
- A deformity in humans caused by abnormal curvature of the upper spine.
- (slang) An act of sexual intercourse.
- (UK, slang) A bad mood.
- get the hump, have the hump, take the hump.
- (slang) A painfully boorish person.
- That guy is such a hump!
(third-person singular simple present humps, present participle humping, simple past and past participle humped)
Probably from Dutch homp (“hump, lump”) or Middle Low German hump (“heap, hill, stump”), from Old Saxon *hump (“hill, heap, thick piece”), from Proto-Germanic *humpaz (“hip, height”), from Proto-Indo-European *kumb-, *kumbʰ- (“curved”).
Cognate with West Frisian hompe (“lump, chunk”), Icelandic huppur (“flank”), Welsh cwm (“a hollow”), Latin incumbō, Albanian sumbull (“round button, bud”), Ancient Greek κύμβη (kýmbē, “bowl”), Avestan [script?] (xumba, “pot”) [script?], Sanskrit कुम्ब (kúmba, “thick end of bone”)). Replaced, and perhaps influenced by, Old English crump (“crooked, bent”). More at cramp.
- (historical, World War 2, slang) The Himalayas, as the challenge for the supply route between India and China.
- The C-47s could not make it over the Hump with a full load and full tanks.