- The definition of a hump is a rounded lump or bump.
An example of a hump is a rounded mass on someone's back caused by a curve in the spine.
- Hump is defined as to hunch over or arch the back, to hurry or to use a lot of energy, or is vulgar slang to mean having sexual intercourse.
- An example of hump is to walk bent over with the shoulders down.
- An example of hump is to race through the day.
- An example of hump is to have sex with someone.
A camel with two humps.
hump definition by Webster's New World
- a rounded, protruding lump, as the fleshy mass on the back of a camel
- a hummock; mound
- Brit., Informal a fit of melancholy: with the
Origin: ; from or akin to Low German humpe, thick piece ; from Indo-European an unverified form kumb- (; from base an unverified form keu-, to bend, curve) from source hip, Sanskrit kumba-, thick end (of a bone), Classical Greek kymbē, a bowl
- to hunch; arch: the cat humped its back
- Austral., Brit., Informal to carry on the back
- Slang to have sexual intercourse with
- to exert oneself
- to hurry
hump definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A rounded mass or protuberance, such as the fleshy structure on the back of a camel or of some cattle.
- A deformity of the back in humans caused by an abnormal convex curvature of the upper spine.
- Vulgar Slang The act or an instance of having sexual intercourse.
- a. A low mound of earth; a hummock.b. A mountain range.
- Chiefly British A fit of depression; an emotional slump.
- To bend or round into a hump; arch.
- Slang a. To exert (oneself).b. To carry, especially on the back.
- Vulgar Slang To engage in sexual intercourse with.
- Slang To exert oneself.
- Slang To hurry.
- Vulgar Slang To engage in sexual intercourse.
Origin: Probably of Low German origin.
- humped adjective
hump - Phrases/Idioms
over the humpâ
over the hump