- a depressing or being depressed
- a depressed part or place; hollow or low place on a surface
- low spirits; gloominess; dejection; sadness
- a decrease in force, activity, amount, etc.
- Astron. the angular distance of a celestial body below the horizon
- Econ. a period or condition marked by slackening of business activity, widespread unemployment, falling prices and wages, etc.
- Med. a decrease in functional activity
- a lowering of the atmospheric pressure indicated by the fall of mercury in a barometer
- an area of relatively low barometric pressure; low
- Psychol. an emotional condition, either neurotic or psychotic, characterized by feelings of hopelessness, inadequacy, etc.
- Surveying the angular distance of an object below the horizontal plane
Origin of depressionMiddle English depressioun from Old French depression from Classical Latin depressio: see depress
the (Great) Depression