Mount Cook has an impressive prominence in the landscape since it is the tallest mountain in New Zealand.
- When an artist becomes famous and well-known, this is an example of prominence.
- When a mountain is higher than the mountains around it, this is an example of prominence.
Prominence is the state of being important, being famous or being obvious.
- the state or quality of being prominent
- something that is prominent or that sticks out, as a hill
- Astron. any of the luminous clouds of solar gas arching from the chromosphere into the much hotter corona: best seen at the edge of the sun, as during an eclipse
Origin of prominencefrom Middle French from Classical Latin prominentia from prominens: see prominent
- The quality or condition of being prominent.
- Something prominent, especially an area of land raised above its surroundings.
- Anatomy A small projection or protuberance.
- Astronomy A tonguelike cloud of luminous gas rising from the sun's surface, visible as part of the corona during a total solar eclipse.
(countable and uncountable, plural prominences)