- A person who is not famous and who few people know is an example of someone who lives in obscurity.
- Hidden meanings inside a book that few people know about or understand are examples of obscurity.
- the quality or condition of being obscure
- pl. -·ties an obscure person or thing
- Deficiency or absence of light; darkness.
- a. The quality or condition of being unknown: “Even utter obscurity need not be an obstacle to [political] success” (New Republic).b. One that is unknown.
- a. The quality or condition of being imperfectly known or difficult to understand: “writings meant to be understood &ellipsis; by all, composed without deliberate obscurity or hidden motives” (National Review).b. An instance of being imperfectly known or difficult to understand.
(countable and uncountable, plural obscurities)