- The definition of ambiguity is vagueness or a lack of clarity.
An example of ambiguity is when a person answers a question in a way that indicates he is not giving all of the details.
ambiguity definition by Webster's New World
- the quality or state of being ambiguous
- pl. ambiguities an ambiguous word, statement, etc.
Origin: Middle English ambiguite ; from Classical Latin ambiguitas
ambiguity definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. am·bi·gu·i·ties
- Doubtfulness or uncertainty as regards interpretation: “leading a life of alleged moral ambiguity” (Anatole Broyard).
- Something of doubtful meaning: a poem full of ambiguities.
ambiguity - Legal Definition