- The definition of ambiguous is something that is unclear or not easily describable.
An example of someone who might give an ambiguous answer to a question is a politician who is talking to his constituents.
ambiguous definition by Webster's New World
- having two or more possible meanings
- not clear; indefinite; vague
Origin: Classical Latin ambiguus ; from ambigere, to wander ; from ambi-, about, around plush agere, to do, act
ambiguous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Open to more than one interpretation: an ambiguous reply.
- Doubtful or uncertain: “The theatrical status of her frequently derided but constantly revived plays remained ambiguous” (Frank Rich).
Origin: From Latin ambiguus, uncertain, from ambigere, to go about : amb-, ambi-, around; see ambi- + agere, to drive; see ag- in Indo-European roots.
- am·bigˈu·ous·ly adverb
- am·bigˈu·ous·ness noun