The definition of explicit is something that is clearly expressed or communicated.
An example of explicit is someone giving very straightforward directions to a location.
- clearly stated and leaving nothing implied; distinctly expressed; definite
- saying what is meant, without reservation or disguise; outspoken
- plain to see; readily observable
- graphic in the portrayal of nudity or sexual activity
Origin of explicitOld French explicite ; from Medieval Latin explicitus ; from L, past participle of explicare: see explicate
(here) ends: a word sometimes placed at the end of a medieval manuscript
- a. Fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied: explicit approval.b. Fully developed or formulated: has an explicit idea of what to say in the paper.
- Forthright and unreserved in expression: They were explicit in their criticism.
- a. Readily observable: an explicit sign of trouble.b. Describing or portraying nudity or sexual activity in graphic detail.
Origin of explicitLatin explicitus, past participle of explicāre, to unfold; see explicate.
(comparative more explicit, superlative most explicit)