- The definition of explicit is something that is clearly expressed or communicated.
An example of explicit is someone giving very straightforward directions to a location.
explicit definition by Webster's New World
- clearly stated and leaving nothing implied; distinctly expressed; definite
- saying what is meant, without reservation or disguise; outspoken
- plain to see; readily observable
Origin: Old French explicite ; from Midieval Latin explicitus ; from Classical Latin past participle of explicare: see explicate
explicit definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied.b. Fully and clearly defined or formulated: “generalizations that are powerful, precise, and explicit” (Frederick Turner).
- Forthright and unreserved in expression: They were explicit in their criticism.
- a. Readily observable: an explicit sign of trouble.b. Describing or portraying nudity or sexual activity in graphic detail.
Origin: Latin explicitus, past participle of explicāre, to unfold; see explicate.
- ex·plicˈit·ly adverb
- ex·plicˈit·ness noun