- The definition of definitive is something that is settled in a final way or something that is authoritative.
- An example of something that would be described as definitive is a conclusive decision made by an authority figure.
- A use of the adjective definitive would be a definitive history book, which would be a complete history on a specific subject.
- that decides or settles in a final way; decisive; conclusive: a definitive answer
- most nearly complete and accurate; authoritative: a definitive biography
- serving to define; limiting or distinguishing precisely: definitive details
- designating or of a postage stamp for regular use, issued for an unlimited period
Origin: Middle English diffinitif ; from Old French definitif ; from Classical Latin definitivus ; from past participle of definire, define
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Precisely defined or explicit.
- Supplying or being a final settlement or decision; conclusive. See Synonyms at decisive.
- Authoritative and complete: a definitive biography. See Usage Note at definite.
- Biology Fully formed or developed, as an organ or structure.
- de·finˈi·tive·ly adverb
- de·finˈi·tive·ness noun