- The definition of a definition is a statement of what a word or phrase means.
An example of definition is what comes up when looking up a word in YourDictionary.com.
- Definition is defined as the clearness or sharp outline of an object or image.
An example of definition is the outline of people against a background in a photo.
- a defining or being defined
- a statement of what a thing is
- a statement of the meaning as of a word or phrase
- a putting or being in clear, sharp outline
- a making or being definite, explicit, and clear
- the power of a lens to show (an object) in clear, sharp outline
- the degree of distinctness of a photograph, etc.
- the clearness with which recorded or broadcast sounds or televised images are reproduced; absence of fuzziness
Origin of definitionMiddle English diffinicioun ; from Old French definicion and amp; Medieval Latin diffinitio, both ; from Classical Latin definitio
- a. A statement of the meaning of a word, phrase, or term, as in a dictionary entry.b. A statement or description of the fundamental character or scope of something: “[The panel] calls for a clearer definition of the status of people captured in American military operations” (Economist).
- The act or process of stating a precise meaning or significance; formulation of a meaning: The definition of terms is essential to any successful scholarly study.
- The state of being clearly outlined: “With the drizzle, the trees in the little clearing had lost definition” (Anthony Hyde).
- The level of detail in a recording, production, or digital encoding of an image or sound.
Origin of definitionMiddle English diffinicioun, from Old French definition, from Latin dēfīnītiō, dēfīnītiōn-, from dēfīnītus, past participle of dēfīnīre, to define; see define.