- The definition of a definition is a statement of what a word or phrase means.
An example of definition is what comes up when looking up a word in YourDictionary.com.
- Definition is defined as the clearness or sharp outline of an object or image.
An example of definition is the outline of people against a background in a photo.
definition definition by Webster's New World
- a defining or being defined
- a statement of what a thing is
- a statement of the meaning as of a word or phrase
- a putting or being in clear, sharp outline
- a making or being definite, explicit, and clear
- the power of a lens to show (an object) in clear, sharp outline
- the degree of distinctness of a photograph, etc.
- the clearness with which recorded or broadcast sounds or televised images are reproduced; absence of fuzziness
Origin: Middle English diffinicioun ; from Old French definicion and amp; Midieval Latin diffinitio, both ; from Classical Latin definitio
- definitional adjective
definition definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A statement conveying fundamental character.b. A statement of the meaning of a word, phrase, or term, as in a dictionary entry.
- The act or process of stating a precise meaning or significance; formulation of a meaning.
- a. The act of making clear and distinct: a definition of one's intentions.b. The state of being closely outlined or determined: “With the drizzle, the trees in the little clearing had lost definition” (Anthony Hyde).c. A determination of outline, extent, or limits: the definition of a President's authority.
- a. The clarity of detail in an optically produced image, such as a photograph, effected by a combination of resolution and contrast.b. The degree of clarity with which a televised image or broadcast signal is received.
Origin: Middle English diffinicioun, from Old French definition, from Latin dēfīnītiō, dēfīnītiōn-, from dēfīnītus, past participle of dēfīnīre, to define; see define.
- defˌi·niˈtion·al adjective