- a circumscribing or being circumscribed
- a boundary or outline
- a limitation or restriction
- a surrounding substance
- a circumscribed space or area
- an inscription, as around a coin or medal
Origin of circumscriptionClassical Latin circumscriptio
- The act of circumscribing or the state of being circumscribed.
- Something, such as a limit or restriction, that circumscribes.
- A circumscribed space or area.
- A circular inscription, as on a medallion.
Origin of circumscriptionLatin circumscrīptiō circumscrīptiōn- from circumscrīptus past participle of circumscrībere to circumscribe ; see circumscribe .
- the act of circumscribing or the quality of being circumscribed
- anything that circumscribes or a circumscribed area
- (taxonomy) the definition of what does and does not belong to a given taxon, from a particular taxonomic viewpoint or taxonomic system.
- The circumscription in the APG system of the family Malvaceae includes the former families Bombacaceae, Sterculiaceae and Tiliaceae.
- An electoral district; used often in texts treating electoral systems in Romance countries.