- a circumscribing or being circumscribed
- a boundary or outline
- a limitation or restriction
- a surrounding substance
- a circumscribed space or area
- an inscription, as around a coin or medal
Origin: L circumscriptio
- circumscriptive adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act of circumscribing or the state of being circumscribed.
- Something, such as a limit or restriction, that circumscribes.
- A circumscribed space or area.
- A circular inscription, as on a medallion.
Origin: Latin circumscrīptiō, circumscrīptiōn-, from circumscrīptus, past participle of circumscrībere, to circumscribe; see circumscribe.
- cirˌcum·scripˈtive adjective
- cirˌcum·scripˈtive·ly adverb