- Nonsense is defined as words that have no actual meaning, behavior that is silly and foolish or is a word used to express disagreement.
- Silly and meaningless baby talk is an example of nonsense.
- Behaving in a silly and foolish manner is an example of nonsense.
- When someone says you are mean and you want to disagree, this is an example of a situation where you might say "Nonsense, I am very nice."
Nonsense behavior can be fun.
- words or actions that convey an absurd meaning or no meaning at all
- things of relatively no importance or value; trivialities
- impudent, foolish, or evasive behavior
Origin of nonsensenon- + sense
- designating or of syllables or words constructed of sounds or symbols arranged arbitrarily so as to have no meaning
- of or designating verse, poetry, or other literary composition consisting of words or syllables that convey an absurd meaning or no meaning at all
- Words or signs having no intelligible meaning: a message that was nonsense until decoded.
- Subject matter, behavior, or language that is foolish or absurd.
- Extravagant foolishness or frivolity: a clown's exuberant nonsense.
- Matter of little or no importance or usefulness: a chatty letter full of gossip and nonsense.
- Insolent talk or behavior; impudence: wouldn't take any nonsense from the children.
(usually uncountable, plural nonsenses)
- Letters or words, in writing or speech, that have no meaning or seem to have no meaning.
- After my father had a stroke, every time he tried to talk, it sounded like nonsense.
- An untrue statement.
- He says that I stole his computer, but that's just nonsense.
- Something foolish.
- (literature) A type of poetry that contains strange or surreal ideas, as, for example, that written by Edward Lear.
- (biology) A damaged DNA sequence whose products are not biologically active, that is, that does nothing.
(third-person singular simple present nonsenses, present participle nonsensing, simple past and past participle nonsensed)
- To make nonsense of
- To attempt to dismiss as nonsense.
- (intransitive) To joke around, to waste time
non- +"Ž sense