Variant of definition
- a defining or being defined
- a statement of what a thing is
- a statement of the meaning as of a word or phrase
- a putting or being in clear, sharp outline
- a making or being definite, explicit, and clear
- the power of a lens to show (an object) in clear, sharp outline
- the degree of distinctness of a photograph, etc.
- the clearness with which recorded or broadcast sounds or televised images are reproduced; absence of fuzziness
Origin: ME diffinicioun < OFr definicion & ML diffinitio, both < L definitio
- definitional adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.