- Determinate is defined as something with a precise or exact form or limit.
Something that can only grow to a certain limit is an example of something that would be described as growing to a determinate limit.
- having exact limits; definite; distinct; fixed
- settled or decided; conclusive
- Bot. having a flower at the end of the primary axis and of each secondary axis; cymose
Origin of determinateMiddle English ; from Classical Latin determinatus, past participle of determinare: see determine
- Precisely limited or defined; definite: a determinate number; a determinate distance.
- Conclusively settled; final.
- Firm in purpose; resolute.
- Botany a. Terminating in a flower and blooming in a sequence beginning with the uppermost or central flower: a determinate inflorescence.b. Not continuing indefinitely at the tip of an axis: determinate growth.
Origin of determinateMiddle English, from Latin dēterminātus, past participle of dētermināre, to determine; see determine.
- (philosophy) A single state of a particular determinable attribute.
(third-person singular simple present determinates, present participle determinating, simple past and past participle determinated)
- (obsolete) To bring to an end; to determine.
From Latin dēterminātus, perfect passive participle of dēterminō (“limit, set bounds”).