- Determinate is defined as something with a precise or exact form or limit.
Something that can only grow to a certain limit is an example of something that would be described as growing to a determinate limit.
determinate definition by Webster's New World
- having exact limits; definite; distinct; fixed
- settled or decided; conclusive
- Bot. having a flower at the end of the primary axis and of each secondary axis; cymose
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin determinatus, past participle of determinare: see determine
determinate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Precisely limited or defined; definite: a determinate number; a determinate distance.
- Conclusively settled; final.
- Firm in purpose; resolute.
- Botany a. Terminating in a flower and blooming in a sequence beginning with the uppermost or central flower; cymose: a determinate inflorescence.b. Not continuing indefinitely at the tip of an axis: determinate growth.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin dēterminātus, past participle of dētermināre, to determine; see determine.
- de·terˈmi·nate·ly adverb
- de·terˈmi·nate·ness noun
determinate - Science Definition
- Precisely determined, limited, or defined.
- Not continuing to grow at an apical meristem. In the cyme, a determinate inflorescence, for example, the first floret develops at the end of the meristem, and no further elongation of the inflorescence can occur.