- The definition of equivocal is something having several different meanings.
An example of equivocal is a poem with multiple interpretations.
equivocal definition by Webster's New World
- that can have more than one interpretation; having two or more meanings; purposely vague, misleading, or ambiguous: an equivocal reply
- uncertain; undecided; doubtful: an equivocal outcome
- suspicious; questionable: equivocal conduct
Origin: ; from Late Latin aequivocus (see equivocate) and amp; -al
equivocal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Open to two or more interpretations and often intended to mislead; ambiguous. See Synonyms at ambiguous.
- Of uncertain significance.
- Of a doubtful or uncertain nature.
Origin: From Late Latin aequivocus : Latin aequi-, equi- + Latin vocāre, to call; see wekw- in Indo-European roots.
- e·quivˌo·calˈi·ty , e·quivˈo·cal·ness noun
- e·quivˈo·cal·ly adverb