The definition of dubious is something that is unlikely to be true.adjective
An example of dubious is a claim that the world is flat.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- causing doubt; ambiguous; vague: a dubious remark
- feeling doubt; hesitating; skeptical
- with the outcome undecided or hanging in the balance: dubious battle
- rousing suspicion; questionable; shady: a dubious character
Origin: L dubiosus, doubtful < dubius, doubting, uncertain < du- < or akin to duo, two + IE base *bhu-, *bheu-, to be
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Fraught with uncertainty or doubt; undecided.
- Arousing doubt; doubtful: a dubious distinction.
- Of questionable character: dubious profits.
Origin: From Latin dubius; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.
- duˈbi·ous·ly adverb
- duˈbi·ous·ness noun