- The definition of dubious is something that is unlikely to be true.
An example of dubious is a claim that the world is flat.
dubious definition by Webster's New World
- causing doubt; ambiguous; vague: a dubious remark
- feeling doubt; hesitating; skeptical
- with the outcome undecided or hanging in the balance: dubious battle
- rousing suspicion; questionable; shady: a dubious character
Origin: Classical Latin dubiosus, doubtful ; from dubius, doubting, uncertain ; from du- ; from or akin to duo, two plush Indo-European base an unverified form bhu-, an unverified form bheu-, to be
dubious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Fraught with uncertainty or doubt; undecided.
- Arousing doubt; doubtful: a dubious distinction.
- Of questionable character: dubious profits.
Origin: From Latin dubius; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.
- duˈbi·ous·ly adverb
- duˈbi·ous·ness noun