A shady playground.
- An example of a shady place is under an awning.
- An example of a shady person is someone who constantly lies.
The definition of shady is providing darkness and coolness from the sun, or of questionable character.
- giving shade
- shaded, as from the sun; full of shade
- of darkness, secrecy, or concealment
- Informal of questionable character or honesty
on the shady side of
beyond (a given age); older than
- Full of shade; shaded: found a cool, shady spot under some trees. See Synonyms at dark.
- Casting shade: a large, shady elm.
- Of dubious character, morality, or legality; questionable: “men who could indulge in any shady deal in downtown offices and still pose as beneficent angels … on the golf course” ( Louis Auchincloss )
(comparative shadier, superlative shadiest)
- Abounding in shades.
- Causing shade.
- Overspread with shade; sheltered from the glare of light or sultry heat.
- (slang) Not trustworthy; Unfit to be seen or known.
- He is a shady character.
shade +"Ž -y