- The definition of a fly-by-night is an unreliable person who is generally not known and who cannot be trusted.
An example of fly-by-night person is the description used for a salesman who promises the world but doesn't deliver.
- A fly-by-night is defined as an unreliable person who is generally not known and who cannot be trusted.
An example of a fly-by-night is a contractor who takes your money to produce your kitchen cabinets and then never produces them.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Unreliable or unscrupulous, especially with regard to business dealings: “fly-by-night telephone companies that open up shop, sell some systems, then disappear when service is needed” (Mary Ellen Jordan).
- Of an impermanent or insubstantial nature: fly-by-night fashions in clothing.
- An unscrupulous or undependable person, especially one who leaves secretly without paying creditors.
- Something of a shaky or impermanent nature.
fly-by-night - Business Definition
fly-by-night - Cultural Definition
Shady or untrustworthy: “Before buying stock in a newly formed company, the prudent investor will check its owners' credentials to make sure it's not a fly-by-night operation.”