- The definition of a suspect is a person believed to have committed a crime.
An example of a suspect is a person seen leaving the scene of a robbery with one of the stolen televisions.
- Suspect is defined as to think something is likely or believe someone has done something wrong or is guilty of something.
An example of to suspect is a girlfriend thinking her boyfriend is cheating on her.
- to believe (someone) to be guilty of something specified, on little or no evidence
- to believe to be bad, wrong, harmful, questionable, etc.; distrust
- to think it probable or likely; guess; surmise; suppose
Origin of suspectLate Middle English suspecten ; from Classical Latin suspectus, past participle of suspicere, to look under, look up to, admire, also to mistrust ; from sus- (see sub-), under + specere, to look (see spy)
verbsus·pect·ed, sus·pect·ing, sus·pects
- To consider (something) to be true or probable on little or no evidence: I suspect they are very disappointed.
- To have doubts about (something); distrust: I suspect his motives.
- To consider (a person) guilty without proof: The police suspect her of murder.
Origin of suspectMiddle English suspecten, from Old French suspecter, from Latin suspectare, frequentative of suspicere, to look up at, suspect : su-, sub-, from below; see sub– + specere, to look at; see spek- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present suspects, present participle suspecting, simple past and past participle suspected)
(comparative more suspect, superlative most suspect)
- Viewed with suspicion; suspected.
suspect - Legal Definition