An example of suspicious used as an adjective is the phrase suspicious activity, such as someone bringing a large empty bag with them into a department store dressing room as if they might steal the clothes.
- arousing or likely to arouse suspicion in others
- showing or expressing suspicion
- feeling suspicion
- tending habitually to suspect, esp. to suspect evil
Origin of suspiciousMiddle English suspecious from Old French from Classical Latin suspiciosus
- Arousing or apt to arouse suspicion; questionable: suspicious behavior.
- Tending to suspect; distrustful: a suspicious nature.
- Expressing suspicion: a suspicious look.
(comparative more suspicious, superlative most suspicious)