- The definition of incredulous is feeling that something that is hard to believe.
An example of incredulous is someone’s reaction to winning the lottery.
- unwilling or unable to believe; doubting; skeptical
- showing doubt or disbelief: an incredulous look
Origin: L incredulus: see in- and amp; credulous
- incredulously adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Skeptical; disbelieving: incredulous of stories about flying saucers.
- Expressive of disbelief: an incredulous stare.
Origin: From Latin incrēdulus : in-, not; see in-1 + crēdulus, believing; see credulous.
- in·credˈu·lous·ly adverb
- in·credˈu·lous·ness noun